These Chocolate Peppermint Cookies are a delicious, festive holiday treat. Dark and white chocolate chips, peppermint oil, and all the chewy goodness of a cookie – you can’t miss this irresistible holiday treat on your cookie tray!
- 7/8 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 11/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 3.5-ounce dark chocolate chips (see notes)
- 3 drops peppermint oil or 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Pinch of salt
- 3.5-ounces white chocolate, melted
- Crushed candy cane
- Cookies. In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together sugar and butter for 30 seconds, or until combined.
- Add egg and peppermint extract, and whisk until smooth. Gradually add the dry ingredients. Mix gently with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Add dark chocolate chips into the dough. Mix well and refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes – 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a large baking tin with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough into walnut-size balls and arrange them on the sheet, keeping at least 2 inches distance between each dough.
- Bake the cookies for 12 minutes, or until the bottoms are well set. Let them cool on a wire rack.
- To decorate cookies: use a teaspoon to draw zig-zag lines on top of the cookies with melted chocolate. Then, sprinkle crushed candy cane on top.