- 1 pound fresh pasta
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 pound 80/20 ground beef OR 90/10 ground beef
- 1/4 cup Italian seasonings
- 1 can (15-ounce) tomato sauce
- 1 cup pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Freshly black pepper
- In a large pot, add the olive oil on a medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, then cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add in the ground beef and brown until meat has been thoroughly cooked through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in the tomato sauce, pumpkin puree, and seasoning, including the fresh basil. Stir to mix well. Pour the stock in the pot as well.
- Let mixture simmer on slow, uncovered, for 1 or more hours (the longer the better, but minimum 1 hour), stirring occasionally.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta to al dente, according to package instructions. Serve the sauce hot over fresh pasta.