This Kimchi Fried Rice is so easy to make and a great way to use up your day-old rice. Make it a low-carb option with cauliflower rice for a healthy vegan dinner side.
- 4 cups of day-old cooked rice
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 medium shallot
- 2 stalks of green onion
- 6 oz. kimchi
- 4 eggs (1 egg for each serving)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon gochujang
- 2 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kimchi juice
- Chop kimchi into ¼” pieces (about 1 cm) to yield 1½ cup of chopped kimchi.
- In a large pan or wok add the oil on medium heat. Add chopped kimchi to pan and saute for 5-10 min on medium heat or until kimchi is cooked completely.
- Add the onion, shallot and sautee for 2 minutes.
- Add the sauce and mix well. If kimchi starts to stick to the bottom but not cooked through yet, add a little bit of water or more kimchi juice. You can add more kimchi juice if you like it spicy. If you don’t have kimchi juice, you can also add some gochugaru for more spiciness and red color.
- Reduce heat to low. Add the rice and mix thoroughly. If you are using cold leftover rice, make sure you mix it until there are no cold lumps of rice and all the rice is warmed up. Let it sit on low heat for about 5 min.
- Salt to taste and top with a fried egg and green onion to serve.
You can also add meat like ham, sausage, or spam; and replacing oil with butter.