Crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside, this Lemon Rosemary Focaccia bread is full of flavors, super easy to make and addictive. Great for pizza, sandwiches & more!
- 2 cups (240 gram) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (55 gram) whole wheat flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoon (7 gram) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon (6 gram) sea salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoon (6 gram) fresh rosemary, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons (200 ml) lukewarm water
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1 medium (100 gram) Meyer lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 gram) flaky salt such as Maldon
- 1 teaspoon (1 gram) fresh rosemary
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients of dough, stirring to distribute. Create a well in the flour mixture and add warm water (no more than 115F) and oil. Stir vigorously until a sticky dough forms and all flour is incorporated.
- Turn dough out on a lightly floured surface. Knead by stretching and folding the dough back on itself. Continue for about 5 minutes of 60 turns. The dough should become smoother and fully pull away from the surface, easily forming a ball. Alternatively, you can process the dough in a stand mixer with a dough hook for 5-6 minutes.
- Oil a large bowl. Roll the dough in the bowl so that it is covered in oil. Cover with a damp cloth or cling wrap. Allow the dough to rise at room temperature until 2.5 or 3 times the size, about 1.5 to 2 hours depending on the ambient temperature.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Turn risen dough out on a parchment paper. Stretch with your fingers to approximately 9″x14″ rectangle. Cover with a damp cloth or cling wrap and allow to rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Slice lemon into extremely thin rounds, less than 1/8 inch. You can use a mandoline or a very sharp knife.
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Uncover the dough. Use your finger to push dimples into the dough about 2″ apart.
- Top with thinly sliced lemon, sprinkle with rosemary and flaky salt.
- Bake for 12 minutes at 425F. Reduce the heat to 400F and bake for another 9-10 minutes until the top begins to brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 20 minutes.