Winter comfort food that is healthy and satisfying – Mushroom Ginger Oatmeal Congee. This recipe requires minimal preparation and can be ready in less than 20 minutes. Perfect for cold & flu season!
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (or soy sauce), to taste
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms or assorted mushrooms
- 1-inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- White pepper
- Scallions, for garnish
- In a small pot, add olive oil and ginger. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then add in garlic. Cook for another 1 minute. Don’t burn the garlic.
- Add rolled oats, mushrooms, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer. Continue cooking for another 3-5 minutes until you reach the consistency you want. The oats will be cooked through and beginning to thicken.
- Add fish sauce and white pepper. Stir, and garnish with scallions.