Learn the easy way to make Balinese sambal matah or raw Balinese shallot and lemongrass relish at home. Healthy, simple, and flavorful.
If you’re familiar with Indonesian food, every dish is paired with spicy sauce…sorta. For example. this Javanese fried chicken with sambal terasi (shrimp paste chili sauce). So today, I will share Balinese sambal matah that goes well with almost everything. From fried chicken, and grilled fish, to instant noodles. Yes, Indomie even makes instant noodles with sambal matah flavor.
The good thing about this Balinese chili sauce is you can adjust the spiciness; hence, you can still enjoy this chili sauce even when you’re not into spicy food. The main ingredients are lemongrass and lime leaves which you can’t skip.
- Shallots are a must-have ingredient
- Lemongrass. You can use fresh or frozen, and just need the inner white part only
- Lime leaves, lime to add freshness
- Thai chilies and you can adjust the spiciness
- Salt and sugar for flavoring
- Shrimp paste is optional, but the authentic recipe adds this
- Oil. I use vegetable oil or unrefined coconut oil
How to make Balinese sambal matah
Heat the oil until it sizzles. Then, mix it with the rest of the ingredients. Stir together using a spoon (or mix by hand) until well combined and adjust the seasonings.
You can make sambal matah ahead and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 weeks.
How to enjoy Balinese sambal
Most Indonesians usually serve sambal matah with grilled chicken, fried seafood, or sate lilit. But it also goes well with any vegetarian dish, such as fried tofu or tempeh or instant noodles. And if you happen to be in Bali, don’t be surprised if you spot sambal matah on the side with almost everything they serve.
Balinese Sambal Matah
- 50 grams shallot thinly sliced
- 5 fresh red Thai chilies stemmed, thinly sliced
- 3 lemongrass, inner white part only thinly sliced
- 5 lime leaves thinly sliced
- Juices from 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon shrimp paste optional
- Heat the oil until it sizzles. Then, mix it with the rest of the ingredients. Stir together using a spoon (or mix by hand) until well combined and adjust the seasonings