You guys…. this easy pumpkin mac and cheese recipe is a must-try recipe! Pumpkin puree adds a taste of sweetness and savory and creaminess to this cheesy macaroni. The perfect fall dinner!
There are a few things in life that I’ve been late to the scene to:
- Young & Hungry on Netflix
- Skinny Jeans
- …and most importantly….pumpkin!
But hey, I managed to catch up here and now it’s your turn to try this easy pumpkin mac and cheese recipe. It’s easy, comforting, and a combination of sweet and savory with a spicy kick. This pumpkin mac n cheese is something that kids love and adults will enjoy
How to make easy pumpkin mac and cheese?
First, you need to cook your macaroni or cook pasta until al dente. Then, melt butter in a large pot, whisk in flour until light brown and nutty. Pour in some almond milk and whisk until the sauce thickens. Add your cheese and pumpkin puree the pot, and continue stirring the cheese sauce until cheese is melted. Add in pasta, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper; then mix it. Transfer to a 9×13″ baking dish. Sprinkle some bread crumbs on top and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
What is the best cheese to use for macaroni and cheese?
I use three kinds of cheese in this pumpkin mac and cheese recipe. Fontina cheese, gruyere, and white cheddar. I’ve always loved mac and cheese and this cheese combination always wins.
Can you use pre-shredded cheese for mac and cheese recipe?
The best is always freshly shredded cheese as they melt better, but pre-shredded cheese can also be used as a time saver.
If a recipe can be on the table in 30 minutes and my family loves it, I consider it a win. This meal checks all those boxes. Easy, on the table in 30 mins or less, and a huge crowd-pleaser. So, now it’s your turn to make this at home.
Want easy pumpkin recipes for Fall?
- Double Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins – These Double Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins are a great way to enjoy pumpkin spice season. The muffins are super easy to make and are ready in 30 minutes. Deliciously moist, chocolatey, and downright decadent which make this recipe the best chocolate pumpkin muffins.
- Vegetarian Pumpkin Chili – This vegetarian pumpkin chili is filled with flavor, texture, and just enough spice. (It’s actually vegan and gluten-free, too!) Combining easy canned ingredients with a few fresh components, this quick one-pan meal will warm you up during colder months. Meat eaters, myself included, enjoy it too!
- Creamy Pumpkin Pasta – Nothing screams Fall more than a big bowl of creamy pumpkin pasta! Creamy dreamy pumpkin sauce smothered over pasta makes this one delicious and cozy meal – perfect for Thanksgiving or any cozy busy weeknights!
- Pumpkin Tiramisu – This Pumpkin Tiramisu is the first pumpkin recipe of the season.
Easy Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
- 16 ounce spiral pasta/ cavatappi pasta/ elbow pasta
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fontina cheese
- 2 cups gruyere cheese
- 2 cups white cheddar cheese
- 15 ounce pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- Heat the oven to 425F. Butter a 9×13″ dish or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to the direction package. Drain.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the flour, cook, whisking constantly until the butter smells fragrant and nutty.
- Slowly pour in the milk and flour. Continue whisking until the sauce bubbles and thickens.
- Add the cheese and pumpkin puree. Stir until the cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth. Taste the sauce and adjust with cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
- Add in pasta and mix well. Transfer to a baking dish.
- Topping: melt the butter and combine with panko and thyme leaves. Sprinkle over mac and cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown on top.