Hot chocolate oatmeal is the MOST fun way to eat oatmeal! Creamy, rich, and a dessert for breakfast but in a healthy delicious way. Serve it warm or make it cold with hot chocolate overnight oatmeal.
Oh, chocoholics unite!
Chocolate for breakfast is no stranger in my book. But, chocolate over chocolate for breakfast? I really can’t say no to this especially now that it’s hot chocolate weather. Hence, it was only a matter of time before chocolate made its way into oatmeal!
I can’t believe I haven’t tried this sooner! So easy yet insanely delicious. You will need
- Oatmeal. I always use rolled oats and never tried with instant oatmeal
- Cocoa powder or hot chocolate mix; however, instant hot chocolate mix usually comes in sugar so you might need to adjust the sweetness
- Milk. Either almond milk or whole milk
- Maple syrup to add sweetness. Another suggestion is to use date syrup
- Salt. Just a pinch to balance the sweetness of this oatmeal
- Optional: vanilla extract
How to make chocolate oatmeal
And let the fun begin!
- Combine oatmeal, milk, and salt in a cooking pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, while whisking frequently over medium heat until the oats are thickened and creamy. It takes about 5 minutes
- Turn off and add cocoa powder, maple syrup, and vanilla extract; then stir to combine
- Top with marshmallows, chocolate chips, or your favorite fruits!
Hot chocolate overnight oatmeal recipe
Overnight oatmeal is always popular at our home. So, here’s another fun recipe you should try especially when you don’t feel like eating warm oatmeal in the morning. This hot chocolate oatmeal can be served cold and can be made the night before. To do so, just combine all the ingredients in a jar and let it sit in the fridge overnight. And when you’re ready to enjoy hot chocolate overnight oatmeal in the morning, just add your favorite toppings. Easy peasy!
Toppings for hot chocolate oatmeal
I always think chocolate is everyone’s best friend and there are lots of variations you can make from this chocolate oatmeal recipe.
- Fruits, such as berries or bananas
- Mixed nuts or granola
- Peanut butter sauce
- Ice cream. Everyone will love this idea!
If you are looking for a way to get kids out of bed excitedly every morning, this recipe for hot chocolate oatmeal surely does the trick. It’s creamy, delicious, and easy to make. And if you’re looking for a savory oatmeal recipe, then you will love this mushroom ginger oatmeal congee.
Hot Chocolate Oatmeal
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Dark chocolate chip
- Creamy peanut butter
- Berries, banana
- Combine milk, oats, and salt in a medium-sized saucepan on medium heat. Stir to combine. Bring to a gentle simmer and continue to stir occasionally. Once oats have fully absorbed the milk, take off from the heat
- Add cocoa powder and maple syrup, and mix well. Add more milk if the oatmeal is too thick
- Serve with your desired toppings