Pukis cake or kue pukis is a traditional Indonesian snack made with coconut milk. Its texture is undeniably soft yet slightly chewy, you’ll ask for more than one. Perfect when paired with toasted coconut cold brew.
This cake. Yes, this just happened. If Dutch has poffertjes and Japanese has dorayaki, then Indonesian has kue pukis or pukis cake.
The ingredients for kue pukis
- Flour. Pukis cake usually uses bread flour; however, I use all-purpose flour in this recipe
- Egg. Medium size
- Coconut milk, butter. Always use unsalted butter
- Sugar, salt, baking powder, yeast. You will need granulated sugar
- Chocolate sprinkles, Nutella, cheese, and more for the filling
Pukis cake comes in original (plain) and with flavors. The most common flavors are chocolate, matcha; however, they also have fillings, such as chocolate sprinkles, cheese, jackfruits, durian, and so much more. Not every place has all these fillings; however, most of them usually have the original and chocolate.
And if you’re feeling savory, you can add spam.
The mold pan
Similar to a muffin tin, pukis cake mold has rectangular basins instead of rounded ones. This way, it forms a shape of rounded half-moon bottoms or boat-shaped hotcakes. The mold pan itself can be used to make other Indonesian traditional cakes; such as kue pancong or kue rangi.
Tip to make pukis cake
- Always use a good quality of yeast (brand new).
- Make sure the melted butter is cool or at room temperature.
- Heat the mold pan before you pour the batter in.
- When using a stainless steel mold, be sure to grease the mold with butter.
Pukis cake or kue pukis is a traditional Indonesian snack made with coconut milk. Its texture is undeniably soft yet slightly chewy, you’ll ask for more than one.
- Combine everything except baking powder and ingredients for the filling in a bowl. Set aside for 30 minutes – 1 hour.
- Add in baking powder. Mix and set aside for another 10 minutes.
- Heat the mold pan and pour the batter approximately 1/2 full. Close the lid and cook with low heat.
- Once the hole appears on the surface of the cake, add the fillings and pour the batter until it is 3/4 full. Close the lid and continue cooking until the cake is dry or fully cooked for about 5 minutes; then remove it from the heat.