Chicken Fajitas. Walk into the warm aroma of simmering meat with bell peppers, onions and Mexican spices as you prepare to stuff your favorite tortillas or load your plates with delicious fajitas. This Tejano or Tex–Mex dish originated in northern Mexico and quickly became popular in the United States. Traditionally made with grilled meat, our version offers a hearty bite of potato to an already star-studded cast of ingredients and brings all of the flavors together in a quick Instant Pot rendition.
You guys, I’m totally in love. With this yummy chicken fajitas. I think Instant Pot changed my life instantly. I mean dinner time means family time for us. But as much as we love dinner time, it’s really hard to get everyone together on the same table every night. Some occasion, it’s either one of us busy finishing work or dinner is not ready yet. So I was very excited when I got this book. Amazing Mexican Favorites with Your Instant Pot by Emily Sunwell-Vidaurri of Recipes to Nourish and her husband, Rudy Vidaurri.
What do I like about this book?
- 80 Recipes – our cookbook features 80 Delicious & Authentic Tacos, Burritos, Fajitas and Other Flavor-Packed Recipes.
- All of the recipes are made with REAL, wholefood, naturally gluten-free and soy-free ingredients! And you know I’m BIG when it comes to using real ingredients.
- Most recipes can be made grain-free and many can be made Paleo-friendly. Over 30 recipes are strictly Paleo and over 50 recipes are strictly dairy-free. P.S. Potatoes ARE indeed Paleo-approved and you’ll find some in this cookbook! There are vegetarian options too.
- Because this is a Mexican cookbook, there are some recipes that use corn, rice and/or beans. It wouldn’t be traditional without them!
- The cookbook is a high quality, paperback featuring beautiful, full-color photography for each recipe – photographed by Emily herself ?
Here is a sneak peek to make you drool!
- 2 tablespoon 28 g butter, ghee or avocado oil
- 1½ lbs 680 g chicken breast, thinly sliced
- ½ cup 120 ml chicken broth
- ¼ cup 4 g chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 red onion peeled and sliced
- 5 fresh garlic cloves minced
- 1 small red bell pepper stemmed, seeded and sliced
- 1 small green or yellow bell pepper stemmed, seeded and sliced
- 2 jalapeño peppers stemmed, seeded and sliced
- 1 russet potato peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 small tomato seeded and diced
- 1½ teaspoon 4 g sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup 60 ml fresh lime juice
Optional Toppings and Fixings
- Grated cheese
- Sour cream
- Salsa or hot sauce
- Lemon or lime juice
- Freshly chopped cilantro
- Warmed tortillas gluten-free corn, grain-free, etc.
- Add the healthy fat of your choice to the Instant Pot and press “Sauté.” When the fat has melted, add the chicken and brown for 3 minutes on each side. Remove the browned chicken to a plate and set aside. Add the broth to deglaze the Instant Pot.
- Press the “Keep Warm/Cancel” button. Add the cilantro, onion, garlic, bell peppers, jalapeños, potato, tomato, salt, cumin, chili powder, oregano, black pepper, lime juice, and chicken, then stir to coat the chicken.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, making sure the steam-release valve is sealed. Press the “Manual” button and set for 5 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot is done and beeps, press “Keep Warm/Cancel.” Allow the Instant Pot to release pressure naturally for 10 minutes. Using an oven mitt, open the steam valve. If there is any steam left over, allow it to release until the silver dial drops, then carefully open the lid.
- Serve immediately with your favorite fajita toppings and fixings.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Amazing Mexican Favorites with Your Instant Pot by Emily Sunwell-Vidaurri & Rudy Vidaurri, Page Street Publishing Co. 2017. Photo Credit: Emily Sunwell-Vidaurri.