Long Bean Salad is so easy to make and will quickly become your favorite summer recipe. It’s great served warm or cold or even as a side dish.
Two things – besides my husband – have been really HOT lately.
- Lemons (see Dark Zucchini Muffin post)
- Tomatoes (have you tried the Summer Heirloom BLT from Medocino Farms? It’s so damn good!)
My mom has a green thumb and thanks to her, we’ve been enjoying home-cooked meals with all the produce she grows since I was a child. Garlic, chili, tomatoes, scallions, ginger, and unlimited supplies of fresh Kieffer limes – YUM! To say I’m overwhelmed is totally an understatement.
So the other day, she came in with a bag of long beans and the first thing that crossed my mind was…what do I need to do with these? Because obviously, I’m not gonna make any stir-fries in this hot summer weather. So there I was, tossing ideas back and forth, and I came up with this Long Bean Salad which includes both things that are HOT lately. Yep – lemons and tomatoes.
I grew up eating long beans a lot. I often include them in my gado-gado salad here or in this laksa. But this is my first time enjoying it as a slightly cold yet very refreshing salad. And the result is amazing. I couldn’t be any happier than this.
As for the vinaigrette, I’m making this easy lemon vinaigrette which you can store in the fridge for up to a month. So be sure to make extra and add this to your pasta if you’re tired of having it on salad.
In other exciting news – Eat Drink SF is back and just like last year, this event will take place between August 24 and 26 at Fort Mason. For those who don’t know what this is, Eat Drink SF is a food and drinks festival with lots of restaurants showcasing their best menus. There will be chefs, restaurateurs, and even culinary personalities. The event takes place over the whole weekend, so be sure to get there with your favorite group of people so you can enjoy the fun and food.
And if you decided to join in, you can get $10 off using this discount code: TASTYFOODSTORIES. I hope to see you there! Meanwhile, don’t forget to make this Green Bean Salad and tell me your favorite Summer Salad this year.
Long Bean Salad
- 1 pound Chinese long beans trimmed, cut into 1” pieces
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1 zucchini halved and sliced to ½” thick
- Lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon sliced fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Cook cut long beans in boiling water for 5 minutes, or until tender crisp.
- Preheat the griller and lightly oil grates. Place zucchini in a large mixing bowl and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Toss to coat and sprinkle with salt. Grill about 5 minutes per side, or until nicely seared and cooked to desired tenderness.
- In a bowl, combine fresh lemon juice, 1 cup of olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper; stir well with a whisk.
- Combine green beans with the tomatoes and zucchini. Toss with the vinaigrette, mint leaves, and lemon zest.
- Add almond just before serving.