With just 5 ingredients, these Thai Lettuce Wraps are healthy and so easy to make when you’re craving something filling without loading up on carbs! And can be done in 10 minutes.
Going into donut shops was one of the greatest joys in my life as a kid… and if I am honest, it still is, even as an adult. It’s like going to a candy store, except it’s truly a sugar store. I knew exactly what I wanted every time: chocolate sprinkle donuts or plain donuts which I added Nutella spread on top of. Just writing this has already made me crave a couple of donuts.
But, because I’m an adult, I need to tame my tongue. Oh, adulting! But I’m totally okay with it if less sugar means more vegetables (real, healthy, wholesome food), like these Thai Lettuce Wraps which I enjoy so much. And you will too because:
- They are made with delicious ingredients
- You can mix and match your ingredients to your liking
- They can be done in just 10 minutes
- The recipe is from my cookbook, which you can order here
This pretty much sums up my #TacoTuesday life these days. The cooking process itself is so easy and does not require much time. This also means that if you’re a beginner in the kitchen, you can cook this one too! These wraps are also good if you are thinking of cleaning out your fridge – and that’s where the mix and match ingredients come in.
This simple chicken stir-fry gets Thai flavor from garlic and lots of fresh basil. Serving it in lettuce cups makes it a satisfying low-carb meal, but you can add steamed rice if you like. Chop up a hot pepper, like jalapeno or serrano, and add it with the chicken for the spicy kick you find in many Thai dishes.
I recently became obsessed with Organic Fakin’ Bacon Tempeh Strips from LightLife, which I turned into TTLA sandwiches, and have been adding these strips to these wraps for #MeatlessMonday. And – oh my goodness – it tastes super duper good!
And, since life is all about balance, I’ll probably get a donut after enjoying a plateful of these Thai Lettuce Wraps. What do you think?
Thai Lettuce Wraps
- 1 butter lettuce head
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 1/2 pound ground chicken
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh Thai basil leaves
- Fresh cilantro
- Thinly sliced carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
- Carefully separate the head of lettuce, so you have lettuce cups.
- In the skillet over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the chicken and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add the soy sauce, and season with salt and pepper. Add the basil leaves and cook for another 30 seconds, until they are just fragrant.
- Spoon the chicken mixture into the lettuce cups, top with the cilantro, carrots, and peanuts, if using, and serve.