These Easy Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies are loaded with chocolate and walnuts. This might be a keeper for some of you if you like soft cookies inside and crunchy outside.
Today is one of those days that I’ve been looking forward to. Like a birthday, but better because today is National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day! And what is a better way than celebrating it with these chocolate chip walnut cookies?
First of all, I’m not a fan of walnuts on their own and not even on a bed of salad; however, that changed when you combine walnuts with chocolate especially in the form of…cookies.
There are 3 kinds of cookies: crispy, chewy, and cakey. Fun fact about baking: they all use the same ingredients; however, different in ratios to make cookies to your liking.
I like a combination of both crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. And these chocolate chip walnut cookies have it all!
What kind of chocolates for chocolate chip walnut cookies?
I like a combination of the dark with sweet; however, if you’re a big fan of chocolate like me, you might want to combine a coarsely chopped chocolate bar with chocolate chips. That way, you will get a different texture in each bite.
How can I keep my cookies thick?
The key is to freeze the dough before you bake them. So, right after you make the cookie dough, leave it in the fridge for 45 minutes – 1 hour. Then scoop the cookie dough and leave them in the fridge while you preheat the oven.
Can I freeze the cookie dough?
Absolutely! I often make an extra batch so I can bake them right away. You can freeze the cookie dough in a container so you just need to thaw in the fridge the night before you bake them or scoop the dough and freeze it until frozen solid, then transfer to a resealable plastic bag.
Need more cookie recipes?
- Chocolate Ganache Cookies – Chocolate Ganache Cookies make a delicious treat. Seriously fudgy, rich, and the most decadent chocolate cookies. It’s what a chocaholic’s dreams are made of.
- Nutella-filled Chocolate Baileys Cookies – Anything with a surprise center automatically makes these cookies much more special, especially when filled with Nutella. Nutella-Filled Chocolate Baileys Cookies are a must-try for your baking this year!
- Earl Grey Shortbreads – Classic, buttery shortbread cookies paired with fragrant Earl Grey tea are an elegant addition to any cookie plate.
Easy Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies
- 2.5 sticks 20 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and let it cool
- 1.5 cups cake flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup brown sugar light or dark
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 2-2.5 cups chocolate a combination of 70% dark chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- In a bowl, combine cake flour, all-purpose flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk sugar and melted butter on medium speed. Add egg one at a time.
- Stir in flour mixture. Mix until just combined to avoid overmixing.
- Stir in walnuts and chocolate chips. Leave the dough in the fridge for 45 minutes-1 hour.
- Separate dough into balls using an ice cream scoop on a light-colored cookie sheet, then leave the dough in the fridge. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375F.
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown on the top. Let them rest for at least 10 minutes to set.