This Instant Pot Chicken Curry Soup could not be easier to throw together! A hearty and comforting meal that is full of flavor. Spice up your meal with restaurant-style curry without leaving the house!
One pot. Instant Pot. Have you tried cooking in this wagon yet? I love Thai food so this chicken curry soup has to be one of my favorites especially when I need to prepare for a quick and easy dinner.
The main ingredients
- Red curry paste. The main ingredients of this curry paste include (dried) red chili peppers, garlic, shallots, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, and some other ingredients. If you like spicy like me, you can add more red chili peppers to your soup.
- Thai basil. When it comes to basil, Thai basil is not your regular basil. Regular basil has a more sweet flavor, while Thai basil has a hint of licorice which blends perfectly.
- Coconut milk. Coconut milk brings a nutty flavor to this chicken curry soup; however, you can use milk if you’re running out of coconut milk.
What other ingredients can I add to this chicken curry soup?
Think about your favorite protein. Tofu. Baby corn. Eggplants. Salmon. Basically anything. When you add tofu to this dish, try using extra-firm tofu, cut into small pieces, and fry with light oil until golden brown. remove from the heat and add to your soup when you’re ready to enjoy this comfort food.
Can I make this soup on a stove?
Yes! It might take you a bit longer to cook since you need to wait until bell peppers are cooked and soup is simmer; however, it’s a delicious one-pot soup and dinner can be ready in no time.
Instant Pot Chicken Curry Soup
- 2 15 ounces cans of chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of red curry paste
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon of Thai basil
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 large sweet onion chopped
- 4 stems of celery washed and sliced
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 red pepper washed and chopped
- 1 yellow pepper washed and chopped
- 3 cups shredded or chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 cup garbanzo beans
- 1 can 14 ounces coconut milk
- Toppings: green onions cilantro, bean sprouts
- In the Instant Pot, add the chicken broth, red curry paste, brown sugar, and fish sauce. Turn on the saute setting and heat just until curry paste and brown sugar are melted and blended into the broth. Turn off the saute setting.
- Add minced garlic, chopped onion, sliced celery, shredded carrots, red pepper, yellow pepper, chicken, and garbanzo beans. Stir all together until well blended. Add enough water to cover all ingredients.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot, and make sure the pressure valve is set on SEALING. Press the MANUAL button and set the time to 6 minutes. Allow the pressure to build and release naturally for 5 minutes, then do a quick release by turning the valve to VENTING and allowing all the pressure (steam) to be released and the float valve to a dropdown. Open the lid, stir the soup, and allow the soup to cool down.
- Add the coconut milk and stir well. Serve over rice in a bowl and sprinkle with your favorite toppings on top.