Take your love for cupcakes a little further by making these Spicy Chocolate Cupcakes. They are simple to make and so delicious to eat!
Are you a fan of chocolate and spices? Do you love cupcakes that pack a little bit of a punch? Then you’re in for a treat with these Spicy Chocolate Cupcakes! These decadent treats perfectly combine rich, chocolatey goodness and spicy heat, making them an unexpected but delightful twist on the classic cupcake. Moist and fluffy with just the right kick, these cupcakes will satisfy any chocolate lover’s cravings.
- Unique flavor – Combining chocolate and spices like cinnamon, cayenne pepper, or chili powder creates a unique and delightful taste that you won’t find in your typical cupcake flavor. The spicy notes add depth to the sweet chocolate taste and make for a surprisingly addictive treat.
- Versatile – Spicy chocolate cupcakes can be served for various occasions such as birthdays, parties, or just a fun dessert night with the family. They’re also easy to customize with various frosting or topping options that can give them a different tang or texture.
- Easy to make – These cupcakes are easy to whip up and make using ingredients you probably already have in your pantry.
- Triple chocolate cake mix – Provides the base for the cupcakes and makes it easy to ensure a perfect chocolate flavor every time.
- Large eggs (room temp) – Adds structure to the cupcakes and helps them hold their shape. Room-temperature eggs combine more easily with other ingredients, producing a smoother batter.
- Softened unsalted sweet cream butter – Provides a rich, buttery flavor and tender texture to the cupcakes.
- Whole milk – Adds moisture to the batter and balances out the sweetness of the cake mix.
- Pure vanilla extract – Adds a distinct vanilla aroma and flavor that compliments the chocolate and spice notes in the cupcakes.
- Ground Cayenne Pepper – Adds a spicy kick to the cupcakes that pair well with the chocolate flavor. Adjust the amount of cayenne pepper to your personal preference.
- Cupcake liners – Prevent the batter from sticking to the cupcake pan and make removing the cupcakes easier once they are baked.
How to Spice Up Chocolate Cupcakes
The recipe card will give you full instructions on making these cupcakes into spicy Mexican cupcakes; these are just some added ideas.
- More cayenne pepper or chili powder: Add a little cayenne pepper or chili powder to your cupcake batter for a spicy kick that will give your cupcakes a unique and unforgettable flavor.
- Add Cinnamon: Add some ground cinnamon to your chocolate cupcake batter for a warm and cozy flavor that pairs perfectly with hot drinks like coffee and tea.
- Nutmeg: Nutmeg adds a warm, earthy flavor that goes well with chocolate. A touch of nutmeg goes a long way and can add depth to your chocolate cupcakes.
- Add Espresso Powder: Espresso powder adds a rich and deep intensity to your chocolate cupcakes, similar to how it does in a brewed cup of coffee.
- Spiced Frosting: Top your chocolate cupcakes with a frosting that has been spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, or other favorite spice. A spiced frosting can compliment the chocolate cupcake and kick it up a notch!
Do you plan on making these cupcakes? Let us know what you think!
Spicy Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 box of Triple chocolate cake mix
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup of softened unsalted sweet cream butter
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Ground Cayenne Pepper
Mexican Chocolate Frosting Ingredients
- 3 cups unsalted sweet cream butter softened
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cups dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 5-7 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon ground Cayenne Pepper
- ½ lb of dried chile peppers to top
- ¼ cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line cupcake pan with the black cupcake liners
- In a medium bowl, add the cake mix, butter, milk, and vanilla extract, cayenne pepper and stir until combined
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake in the oven for about 21 minutes.
- Pull out the cupcakes and allow them to cool before frosting.
- Using a standing mixer combine the butter, powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream, vanilla, and mix on medium speed until combined and smooth
- Scoop into the piping bag with the large star
Chocolate Ganache Directions
- Using a small pot, bring the heavy whipping cream to a slow boil
- Place the chocolate chips into a heat proof bowl
- Pour the hot heavy cream over the chocolate chips
- Let sit for 1 minute before whisking until smooth
- Pour into the squeeze bottle
Decorate Your Cupcakes
- Frost the cooled cupcakes
- Drizzle the ganache over the frosting
- Sprinkle some cayenne pepper over the cupcakes
- Top with a dried chile!