This 20-minute healthy mango quinoa salad is vegan, gluten-free, and perfect for entertaining. It will be your favorite easy lunch or summer salad that can be made ahead of time.Jump to Recipe
What is something healthy, fresh, flavorful, and refreshing at the same time? This healthy mango quinoa salad. I love every scoop of it and it’s perfect for a gathering or summer picnic. And just like the title, this salad is healthy with a combination of mango, quinoa, and fresh vegetables.
Our family loves salad; however, I noticed I’m more interested in a sweeter salad like this persimmon pomegranate salad. Now that mango is in season and sweet, I thought it would be a good idea to add them to our salad.
The ingredients for mango quinoa salad
You will need ingredients that you’re familiar with or you might already have.
- Mango. Fresh mangoes and not frozen because frozen mangoes can make salad get so mushy
- Quinoa. Check out how to cook quinoa below
- Tomatoes, cucumbers, corn. Fresh produce is very important. I add cherry tomatoes for easy prep and presentation
- Peppers. I use red pepper in this recipe; however, you can use any peppers you like
- Oil, lemon juice. I use olive oil for salad
- Garlic, salt
How to make a mango quinoa salad
You will need a large bowl to combine the ingredients for the salad. And set it aside.
You will also need a high-speed blender or food processor to make the salad dressing. When done, just toss the dressing to the salad, and stir well.
I like mine chill because the weather has been really off around here; however, this salad is also good at room temperature.
Why is this a healthy salad
Basically, all ingredients in this salad are healthy; however, quinoa brings lots of benefits.
- High in fiber, magnesium, B vitamins, iron, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, vitamin E and various beneficial antioxidants
- Gluten-free and perfect for people with gluten intolerance
- Although it is high in carbs, quinoa may improve your blood sugar and cholesterol levels
How to cook quinoa?
Cooking quinoa is so easy and you can do this on the stove. Some quinoa has already been pre-rinsed and it is usually written on the packages. If not, it is better to rinse it with cold water before you cook it.
The quinoa ratio to liquid is important. The basic ratio is 1 cup quinoa to 2 cups liquid, and you can use variations of liquid, such as:
- Water seasoned with salt
- Broth – vegetable, chicken, or beef
- White wine
It depends on the menu; however, I sometimes toast the quinoa first and cook it with shallot and lemongrass.
Bring quinoa and liquid to a simmer, cover the pot and cook for 15 minute or until the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa grains have sprouted their little tendrils. Remove from the heat, uncover the pot, and fluff the quinoa.
Can this mango salad be made ahead?
Yes, you can make this salad 3 days in advance and store it in the fridge. However, if you think the mango is too watery, it is always a good idea to combine it into a salad when you’re ready to eat it so it stays beautiful.
What other ingredients can I add?
There are lots of ingredients you can add, such as black beans, avocado, red onion, grilled zucchini, or jalapeno if you like an extra spicy kick.
What to serve with healthy salad?
This mango quinoa salad is a hit in our house every time we make it and it isn’t hard to see why. You can add more fresh vegetables to the mix and I sometimes add crispy jalapeno pieces here, too!
Healthy Mango Quinoa Salad
- 4 cups quinoa cooked
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 cups diced cucumbers
- 1 cup diced red pepper
- 1.5 cups cooked corn kernels
- 2 cups diced mango
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, add quinoa, tomatoes, cucumbers, pepper, corn, and mango. Set aside.
- Add the ingredients for salad dressing in a blender or food processor, and blend until all is smooth.
- Add the dressing to the salad and stir well until everything is covered.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.